About our club
Founded in 1969, our superb course is set in 130 acres on the North Downs, 600ft above sea level. We are located on the outskirts of Biggin Hill, within five miles of Westerham. The course measures 6,593 yards and is a par 72, undulating course with spectacular views of the surrounding countryside.
As a member, you have the luxury of playing golf when you want to, without having to book tee times. Cherry Lodge Golf Club prides itself on a truly unique, unpretentious atmosphere – many of our members tell us the camaraderie at our golf club is second-to-none. Visitors are always welcome, so come along and see for yourself why we are the envy of many clubs in the area.
Cherry Lodge Farm existed prior to 1850.
The acreage of the farm was increased by felling a considerable amount of woodland, much of which went to build the original Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition in 1851.
The original avenue of Cherry Trees, which still grace the drive into the club, was also apparently planted around that time. It is no surprise the farm was named Cherry Lodge and hence, later, Cherry Lodge Golf Club.
The original owner died in 1880. His two sons continued to work the farm until 1933 when the farm was then bought by another gentleman a Covent Garden salesman who subsequently handed it down to his son.
The farm during those early years was arable with mainly fruit growing. The most important crop was strawberries and for many years it was a most progressive farm.
Where the clubhouse now stands there was a large barn converted into a Turkey house, and this produced many birds each Christmas.
During the fruit picking season, many gypsies were employed for the fruit picking. All the family would be involved and many of the same families returned to the same farms year after year. Their encampment was in the clump of trees surrounding the 11th green.
As farming and fruit growing became more difficult the two gentlemen who owned the land pooled their freeholds and along with the land owned by Chevening Estate, commenced construction of the Golf Course around 1967/68. John Day assisted in the design and construction, he also designed Edenbridge and other courses.
Play commenced before the clubhouse was completed around 1969/70. The original course was a par 75 measuring 6908 yards. Back then the first and (now) 4th green was virtually a shared green. There was also a different order to the holes on the front 9 and there were 3 more par 5’s.
Proprietors Blundell and Hicks decided to sell the golf club in 1985. From January 1986 it was run by All Weather Sports and Leisure Activities Ltd, a division of Wates Ltd, the builder.
7 years later Wates decided to sell the club and following valiant efforts by senior club members enough funding was raised via loans from members and financial establishments to purchase the club. So, on September 30th 1993 Cherry Lodge Golf Club became a wholly owned, private members club.
There have been various changes to the course since then with some bunkers being removed, moved or added on different holes. The par has also been reduced to 72 by reducing some par 5’s to par 4’s on the now 4th,5th and 14th.
It is still a good test of parkland golf and with some breeze nearly always present, it does make your round just a little more interesting.
(This is an abridged version of an on going document about the history of Cherry Lodge Golf Club – by kind permission of Andy Halliday)